Sweet background

Friday, January 21, 2011

And so it begins

5 days ago I fell in love. Instant, deep, and overwhelming. And all I have to show for it are 5 positive pregnancy tests.
I didn't have much hope that we would conceive this cycle. I had some symptoms that the end was near and was already thinking ahead to month number 6 of trying for a baby. And then Sunday afternoon hit. I was feeling "funny" and decided to take a test for the heck of it. The first test came up invalid (meaning there was no control line) so I tried another. 3 minutes later I saw a faint but definite line! I tried 3 more cheap tests and then whipped out my super expensive, super important digital and after another 3 minutes of waiting, feeling slightly dizzy with possibilities, the most beautiful word appeared.
Pregnant. Wow! This stuff actually works. Huh.
I calmly walked into the guest room where I had stashed a Cowboys baby hooded towel which I snagged off of Amazon over the holidays. I put the towel and the digital test behind my back and walked out to the living room where Daddy was watching the football playoffs (and now I pause for the male readers to groan). I handed him the towel and he said I had a weird look on my face. He examined it and gave me a wary look, so I handed him the test. Nothing can ever erase that moment from my heart, seeing his eyes get teary as realization sank in and reality struck us both over the head.
We're going to have a baby!

1 comment: